ACT JUSTLY. LOVE MERCY. WALK HUMBLY
“I thank my God in all my remembrance of you. In every prayer of mine I always make my entreaty and petition for you all with joy (delight). I thank my God for your fellowship (your sympathetic cooperation and contributions and partnership in advancing the good news (the Gospel from the first day you heard it until now. And I am convinced and sure of this very thing, that He Who began a good work in you will continue until the day of Jesus Christ (right up to the time of His return), developing that good work and perfecting and bringing it to full completion in you.” Philippians 1:3-6, New Amplified Bible
When Paul wrote these verses to the Philippians his heart was full of joy for the Philippians as they partnered with Him in sharing the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Likewise, our hearts are also full of joy for your response to our fundraising appeal last December 2012 to help the needy in the Philippines.
In collaboration with our ministry partners in the Philippines, your generous contribution has enabled us to give and empower our ministry partners in serving the poor and underprivileged:
• Flip Flops Flor Children – 1,700 flip flips (rubber slippers) to children in December and January 2013. 1,169 were distributed to children who were affected by typhoon Bopha (local name, Pablo) in Northern Davao, Mindanao Philippines.
• Back Pack Project -360 filled with school supplies were distributed to children. Many school buildings were also destroyed and children are holding classes in makeshift schools. Our ministry partner Operation Ahon (helping to rise up again) distributed
• Care of Creation Project in Guimaras – This is a project initiative at MEANS to do an organic gardening/farming in a community. This month 30 Guava Apples grafted seedlings were planted in Guimaras Island, Iloilo this February. In Guimaras, we created a Planting for a Good Cause Project so that students who cannot afford to attend Kawayan Camp (month-long leadership training) sponsored by Intervarsity Christian Fellowship of the Philippines will be able to join. Produce of the garden will also help feed the student wards of Good Shepherd’s Orphanage and Christian Academy in Guimaras. MEANS has been a long time partner with the orphanage.
• Care of Creation Project in Bacolod – This coming February 23, 2013, 50 volunteers, from IVCF, Project Josiah and the students of the school will plant 20 Morringga (Malunggay) and 20 Lemon seedlings to add to the already existing school garden at F.F. Gonzaga Elementary School, Bacolod, Philippines. More fruit trees will be planted to sustain the feeding program that is being done once a week for malnourished school children of the school. The produce from the garden are being used for the feeding program, some are being sold to teachers, if there is an abundant harvest.
• One Bible Project – About 1,000 Bibles (Old and New Testaments) through the generosity of a donor from The Generic Pharmacy and Philippine Bible Society were distributed to our various ministry partners in the Philippines who are in dire need for bibles to be used for personal study, bible study, teaching and preaching. Through our ministry partner, Common Grounds, bibles were distributed to Mangyans in Mindoro, who were overjoyed, when they got their first personal bibles. Many expressed their thanks to the Lord for this generosity. Campus ministries in Davao, Eastern Visayas, and Luzon were also given Tagalog bibles including pastors of churches who will use the bible for their congregations.
• Read to Grow – has been instrumental in giving bilingual books (Tagalog and English) of Christian values to supplement the value formation teaching in elementary and high schools in Manila as required by the Department of Education. This has been an ongoing project of MEANS for many years now.
Again, thank you very much for your partnership in the Gospel. May God continue to bless you, shower you will multiple blessings and most of all, give you good health as you serve Him in the ministry of giving,
All God’s best,
Lina Padilla and Carmena Cruz
Board Chair and President
“and if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry and satisfy the needs of the oppressed, then your light will rise in the darkness, and your night will become like the noonday. 11 The LORD will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame. You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail.”
Isaiah 59: 10-11