MEANS Development Goal: Why do we do what we do? “The goal is to see people transformed to be what God created them to be; people who understand that they are created in the image of God with the gifts, abilities, and capacities to make decisions and to effect change in the world around them; people who steward their lives, communities, resources, and relationships in order to bring glory to God.” Steve Corbett –When Helping Hurts
These are the year-end MEANS ministry projects in the Philippines. We collaborate with our local ministry partners because they have the information, network, capacity and volunteers.
1. Care of Creation – We plant fruit trees native to the local community. The trees will help in greening, clean the air, prevent erosion and flooding in the community.
a. Bohol – Cortes, Bohol – 200 fire tree seedlings were planted in the forest preserve (this project is completed)
b. Cebu – Barangay Busay, Cebu City – to plant fruit trees in the forest preserve
b. San Carlos City, Negros Occidental – bamboo seedlings will be planted along the river banks. In the future, the community can harvest the bamboo for bamboo by-products.
c. Under His Wings – Cagayan De Oro – fruit trees will be planted in the campsite
2. Prison Visit – Our goal is creativity in reaching out to the inmates by sharing Christ’s compassion and bringing the true spirit of Christmas. There will be a Christmas program, distribution of flip-flops, goodies and Christian literature.
a. Burauen Distrck Jail – Burauen, Leyte
b. San Carlos City, Negros Occidental
c. Social Development Center – Taculing, Bacolod
3. Work for a Cause – Send one student. Serve one Community. What is work for a cause? MEANS believes that helping students financially to attend student training seminars should not be a dole out but something that the students will have to earn by cleaning or painting school toilets.
a. Negros Oriental University, Sta Catalina Campus – Dumaguete City
b. Cebu Technical School, Cebu City
4. Protect Children. Child Advocacy – Partnering with local ministry organizations engaging in advocacy that typically seek to protect children’s rights. Posters – we want to reproduce these and distribute to schools in Bacolod.
a. Human trafficking Awareness Program, Bacolod City. MEANS will sponsor local teachers, church leaders and school administrators to attend this seminar.
5. Youth Day – There will be gift giving so the youth will experience the compassion of Christ through this event. Youth day camp is a memorable experience in a child’s life. The opportunity to play games, make new friends, and learn about God’s love in a fun environment is a rare experience for the children we serve. Youth day. Agents of change.
a. Badjao community, Cebu City
b. Daga Elementary School, Cadiz, Negros Occidental
c. Cabunao Elementary School – San Carlos City, Negros Occidental
d. Seguinon National High School, Ormoc City, Leyte
e. Tumalaong, Bukidnon – a community of indigent families Under His Wings – serving urban poor communities in Cagayan De Oro
f. Precious Jewel Ministries – ministering to families affected by HIV in Metro Manila
6. Education Scholarship – Our goal is to develop Christian leaders, enabling young men and women to bring change to their families, communities and the nation. These young people are actively involved in InterVarsity Christian Fellowship (IVCF) programs, attend IVCF leadership training and exercise leadership in their school. The school tuition fees are being provided by the Philippine government for free. So, we supplement their other expenses like school supplies and housing rental. This year we have 5 students from Philippine Normal University, Cadiz, Negros Occidental. This Christmas we will have the opportunity to invite their parents for lunch and give gift baskets with Christmas goodies to these families. Philippine Normal University – Cadiz, Negros Occidental
Leave a Reply